Iranian foreign minister blasts French claims

After France’s foreign ministry claimed Iran’s further uranium enrichment was a provocation and violation of the international laws this week, the Iranian foreign minister hit back.

Predictably, Ali-Akbar Salehi dismissed the country’s claims as untrue, according to Xinhuanet English:

“‘This (France’s) claim is not true and we, definitely, inform the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) of the levels of enrichments and our other peaceful nuclear activities,’ Salehi was quoted as saying.”

All the brouhaha started earlier this week when Iranian nuclear chief Fereydoon Abbasi Davanihad told state media the country’s efforts to enrich uranium to the 20 per cent level needed for nuclear fuel would ramp up, shifting to a plant in Fordo.

French foreign ministry spokesperson Bernard Valero slammed the announcement as “provocation” on Wednesday, says the Straits Times:

“‘It heightens the existing concerns of the international community over the intransigence of the Iranian regime and its constant breaches of international law,’ said Valero.

In 2009 the shock revelation of the formerly secret Fordo plant, near the Shiite holy city of Qom around 150km (94 miles) south-west of Teheran, prompted the United Nations to strengthen sanctions against Iran.”

Eep.

 

Read more about French diplomacy in the latest edition of Carnet Atlantique.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in France, Politics, World and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s